Monday, December 19, 2011

A recap (May 11, 2010)

A quick recap 

So I’ve been a bit preoccupied these last 3 months but I am going to try my hardest to keep up on my blogging.  I really do this blog for therapeutic reasons but I also do it because I know that there are friends and family out there that get a good laugh out of my life! 

So as I stated in my last blog we are now the proud parents of a beautiful baby girl born January 18, 2010.  Mary weighed 7lbs 3oz and she has been such a blessing.  The past 3 months have been hectic to say the least.  With Sam still waking on some nights at 3 or 5 am and George working it makes for long days with a newborn and a toddler.  I have to admit I thought I had to be Wonder Woman.  I felt like I had something to prove, not to anyone really but myself and of course when I couldn’t get simple tasks done and my husband was coming home to a messy house and lack of dinner some nights, I felt like a failure.  I kept thinking “I’m home ALL day so I need to take care of the two kids, clean, do laundry, cook and pick everything up and not complain I’m tired.”  Finally my husband said “Just take care of our kids, the house can wait”.  PHEW! That made me feel so much better that I started to relax and enjoy my new baby. 

With new babies most of you know there comes the feeling of “Am I do everything right?” I know I had a baby once before but it’s amazing what you forget after 2 ½ years! One thing I did not forget however were the symptoms of reflux.  I picked up on the fact that little Mary was having the same issues with reflux as Sam did at his age.  And because of this knowledge I caught it way quicker this time around then with Sam.  3 weeks after her homecoming we were back in the doctor’s office getting a prescription for Zantac.  After about a week of the miracle that is Zantac had worn off, I wondered what else there was to do.  I called her pediatrician again and explained that it didn’t seem as if the Zantac was lasting through the day so she bumped her off the Zantac and upgraded it to Prevacid.  Prevacid is a lot stronger then Zantac and it seemed to be the magic ticket. 

After getting the reflux under control a new issue arose.  She was showing signs of reflux again when I noticed the entire inside of her mouth and tongue was white.  I again called the doctor’s office and this time I just made an appointment.  As soon as her doctor saw her mouth she said “It’s thrush”.  I was confused because I thought babies contracted that on the way out of the birth canal and Mary was 2 ½ months old by then.  But the doctor said that thrush can come on at any time, especially after the babies can figure out how to put objects in there mouth.  So yet another prescription was wrote for our little baby, this time an antibiotic to get rid of the abundance of bacteria growing in her mouth.  With in 24 hours the difference was unbelievable! Not only did it start clearing up right away, she was back to eating her bottle like a champ.  

So with all the attention on Mary, Sam started to pull the “two year old jealous act”.  I knew it would come I just prayed that it wouldn’t.  But oddly enough he wasn’t so upset when I had Mary he was upset when daddy had Mary.  He just had to sit with daddy when he held Mary and he acted out in such ways that you would have thought an imposter come in and replaced my fun loving son with this hellion.  He would just push our buttons until we would have to put him in the corner or put him in his room and not to mention the hellacious temper tantrums! Sam has been a handful, two handfuls; to say the least he’s been difficult, but all in all he’s still a very loving funny boy! 

So not only has dealing with a toddler and a newborn been exasperating but my husband decided enough was enough at work and quit.  I was shocked at his sudden announcement but for once in my life I wasn’t worried.  I knew that all would be ok because he had so many people out there willing to help, that he found a job within a week.  Thankfully he was on vacation that week and didn’t have to return to his old job that he so loved at one time but now despised.  So with his swift decision he found himself on a 3 week vacation between jobs. 

Having George home for 3 weeks was both a blessing and curse.  He helped out tremendously around the house.  He didn’t always do things the way I did which made it difficult for me to relax because I have a routine when he’s not here but I appreciated any help that I got.  For Sam it was a little slice of heaven for this daddy’s boy.  Come to think of it I’m not sure if George being home is better or worse for Sam because at the most extreme Sam would cry when daddy left his side to just go to the bathroom.  So you can imagine my fear of George’s return to work on Sam would be.  I have to admit I was rather shocked when daddy left for work yesterday and Sam didn’t have a toddler meltdown.  He simply said “Bye daddy, lul (love) you” and he went about his toddler business.  It wasn’t until about 5:30 when he started to whine for daddy; the length of the day away from daddy apparently started to be too much.  Thankfully daddy was home 30 minutes later and all was right in toddler world. 

The past three months have brought a boat load of new challenges but also an endless supply of happiness. We started back to church, Sam is starting to get over the jealousy and my husband is happier in his new job.  I know there is more to share from the past three months but I just wanted to give a recap and going forward you can keep your eye out for more of my hectic, funny, crazy, busy, stay-at-home mom life! These past three months have been such a blessing and I look forward to sharing more in the future days, months and weeks!  

Thanks for reading
Andrea 

No comments:

Post a Comment